Re: [Debian-NYC] Debconf 10 - NYC bid [video]

Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> I think they recently raised it to 42 days. Also, they can demand your
> encryption keys in many circumstances even once you're inside the
> country with criminal penalties for failing to provide them, and with
> you having the burden of proof to show you don't know or have the
> information. Although there hasn't been a final US Supreme Court ruling
> on this issue, the courts that have ruled on it seem to believe that you
> can't be compelled to give up or type in a memorized encryption
> passphrase, since it would be a violation of your Fifth Amendment right
> against self-incrimination. See the US v. Boucher court case for more
> details, as mentioned in one of yesterday's /. stories. (They probably
> could compel it if they give some sort of immunity from criminal
> prosecution, but that's still a lot better than the UK situation.)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/29/customs_raids_german_show/

Many countries have laws that can adversely affect a conference like
Debian.  I'm not sure why the US bids are being nearly universally
shunned while the non-US bids have their downsides essentially ignored.