Re: [Debian-NYC] Debconf 10 - NYC bid [video]

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:29:11AM -0700, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Consider that in the UK they can hold you and all your stuff for 28
> days with no charges if they deem you a terrorist suspect.
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6729027.stm

I think they recently raised it to 42 days. Also, they can demand your
encryption keys in many circumstances even once you're inside the
country with criminal penalties for failing to provide them, and with
you having the burden of proof to show you don't know or have the
information. Although there hasn't been a final US Supreme Court ruling
on this issue, the courts that have ruled on it seem to believe that you
can't be compelled to give up or type in a memorized encryption
passphrase, since it would be a violation of your Fifth Amendment right
against self-incrimination. See the US v. Boucher court case for more
details, as mentioned in one of yesterday's /. stories. (They probably
could compel it if they give some sort of immunity from criminal
prosecution, but that's still a lot better than the UK situation.)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org