Re: [Debian-NYC] DebConf10 pre-proposal: New York City

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 18:50 +0200, Amaya wrote:
> The prposal really looks great. I'd love to get back to NYC.
> And I really hope that, by 2010, $Obama will have rationalized not only
> the inmigration problems, but also the privacy implications of
> travelling to the US, the data retenction policy, the abusive "security"
> meassures and so on.

DebConf should have to mess at all with immigration issues or problems.
Most of the people potentially coming from outside the US just to attend
the conference are specifically non-immigrants. The issues with
immigration are a bit deeper and different than just for people touring
and wandering for a few weeks. And well, from my point of view, it is
always harsh to get through security points entering the country from
Houston as from New York, just like getting to Europe via France or the
UK (as from my own experience).

New York City, though, receives an extremely number of tourists every
year and this gets increased at all times. NYC lives its higher peak on
tourism matters after 9/11 and this looks very promising for the city.
According to some informal stats, New York received 46 million tourists
in 2007 (citation needed).

> Anyway be prepared, and not discouraged, to get a lot of complaints in
> this regard.

I think we have to make the proposal to show that some of these issues
are just a matter of perception and some of them are not totally true.

> My best wishes, I really hope Debconf in the USA will be possible one
> day.

Me too.

--
David Moreno <david@axiombox.com>