Re: [Mini-Debconf India] miniDebConf Mumbai 25-09-2014 IRC meeting notes

at bottom :-

On 9/26/14, Rigved Rakshit <r.phate@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Meeting logs here:
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2015/Mumbai/IRC/20140925-debian-in
>
> To-do items:
>
> * Create a website at http://in2015.mini.debconf.org/ and re-use
> current website code as much as possible
> * Talk to FOSSEE team to get official approval for the event from the
> IIT authorities - rigved
> * Ask FOSSEE team to book 6 classrooms and 3 labs for the event so
> that we can have 5 tracks and 1 workshop at any given time, 1 lab
> exclusively booked for hack day events and 1 classroom and 1 lab as
> spare - rigved
> * Get contact details from FOSSEE team so that volunteers can reach
> them - rigved
> * Talk to FOSSEE team about accommodation for speakers and participants -
> rigved
> * Arrange for food and beverages during the event from in-house IIT
> canteens / restaurants or outside vendors - rigved
> * Talk to FOSSEE team about recording all sessions and possibly live
> streaming them - rigved
> * Talk to FOSSEE team about involving other departments of IIT in this
> mini-debconf - rigved
> * Set-up a sponsorship letter
> * Send out a Call for Papers
>
> I have picked up a few of these tasks and will speak to the FOSSEE
> team next week. If anyone is interested in picking up the remaining
> tasks or coordinating on already assigned tasks, please go ahead!
>
> Can someone put up a place-holder at http://in2015.mini.debconf.org/
> in the meantime?
>
> Best Regards,
> Rigved
>

> --

Dear Rigved,
Instead of having 5 tracks, I would suggest just having 2. Having 5 is
and would be a logistical nightmare . Let's say you are going to have
6 presentations/workshops happening in one track (conservative
estimate), multiply it by 5 would be 30 sessions and 30 speakers for
one day. Do it for 2 days and then it would be 60 speakers. Even if
you think of each person taking 2 sessions (would not be possible
unless you have talks/presentations which are multi-disciplinary) that
still leaves you to with 30 people for whom you have to arrange things
(and this is just speakers) . Co-ordinating 30 people's schedules with
their various travel plans, picking them up from train, bus or from
airport is gonna be a big pain. I would suggest that you have 2 tracks
at the most which would be easier to handle. Also for students and
prospective professionals it would be easier to read into things.

That's my suggestion. Do as you think is right.