Re: Help with starting gnukhata-core-engine during installation on Ubuntu

at bottom :-

On 7/26/14, Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> wrote:
>> HI Praveen,
>> I read the bug-report and have subscribed to the ITP and the
>> underlying blocked bugs as well separetly.
>
> I suspect there is a pattern to this behavior of closing bugs as
> immediate response, it is second time I'm seeing such response, and it
> seems this happens when someone is paid to work on a software. They feel
> only their time is valuable and rest of the people are fools. see
> https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/issue/3103/nosuchcolumnerror-could-not-locate-column
>
> for another example of such behavior.
>
>> Couple of naive questions perhaps :-
>>
>> a. You have put up the bug against sysvinit therein, but doesn't
>> Ubuntu use upstart ?
>
> invoke-rc.d is provided by sysvinit.
>
>> b. Also Ubuntu has committed to use systemd in few months which seem
>> to suggest that both syvinit and upstart will no longer play any role.
>> Any comments appreciated on b. if you have any news.
>>
>> Of course sysvinit would play an important role in non-linux
>> architectures.
>
> We have to support users running current stable releases and that means
> we have no other choice but to fix this.
>
>> While I'm in no position to give any concrete advise. try to see if
>> you can somehow increase the verbosity to actually see what issue is
>> happening ? Something on the lines of perhaps
>> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/124566/how-to-debug-init-d-script-that-isnt-being-run
>> or
>> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/115623/debian-init-d-with-a-working-c-daemon-unexpected-results
>
> Just one line in post install script is causing it,
>
> invoke-rc.d gnukhata-core-engine start
>
> the same command works outside of post install script.
>
>> I looked at various questions/queries on init.d and the above were few
>> which I thought might be of some help.
>>
>> Look forward to having gnukhata on debian.
>
> It will take some time as we have to work with people like Steve and
> Mike.

Hi Praveen,
I am pretty much accustomed to this behavior. In my time while using
Ubuntu whenever I used to report the bug, more often than not the
reply used to be (try the bleeding edge version of whatever
application/package). So more often than not, had to rely on
work-arounds shared by people on the ubuntu forums.

A point though, is the fact that Canonical is a for-profit company and
at least during my time they had considerably less developers than
Debian had at that point in time. Also, they would go down the path
and fix those bugs for which they have paying clients. This was made
clear years ago. I cannot cite because this was shared long long time
back when they were a fledging company (2k5-2k6 around) and the
culture persists it seems.

As an aside, I don't know if a certain news item escaped your attention or not

http://raphaelhertzog.com/2014/07/16/spotify-migrates-5000-servers-from-debian-to-ubuntu/

If we want to reverse the trend, then the whole community would need
to find ways to fund stable bug-fixes as well. We all know that
production servers have to be run on stable/mature software having a
long life.

The good news for us is that we do have somebody who could probably be
able to showcase gnukhata to rest of us during the mini-debconf. We do
need an alternative to tally and probably hundreds, if not thousands
of kids who can use,install, maintain and make a small business out of
it which would be a virtous cycle in itself.

But let's not count our chickens before the hatch. Looking forwards to
any progress made by you, KK and his team as well as hope we have a
hands-on on gnukhata (at least couple of sessions) in the mini-debconf
to see where we are at. We could even use the sessions to stress the
system a bit in order to see if anything breaks as well and if it
does, share that feedback with KK and team as well. Overall win-win
situation as far as I see.

Looking forward to meet you in the mini-debconf and catch up as well :)