Re: Help with starting gnukhata-core-engine during installation on Ubuntu

at bottom :-

On 7/25/14, Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need help in fixing this bug so upgrades can go smoothly
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysvinit/+bug/1348757
>
> Currently I work around this issue by starting gnukhata-core-engine when
> gnukhata is installed. But it won't work when gnukhata-core-engine is
> updated separately.
>
> Users will have to manually start gnukhata-core-engine service or
> restart the machine for those who don't feel comfortable playing with
> services. Either way is not the best option.
>
> Thanks
> Praveen

HI Praveen,
I read the bug-report and have subscribed to the ITP and the
underlying blocked bugs as well separetly.

Couple of naive questions perhaps :-

a. You have put up the bug against sysvinit therein, but doesn't
Ubuntu use upstart ?
b. Also Ubuntu has committed to use systemd in few months which seem
to suggest that both syvinit and upstart will no longer play any role.
Any comments appreciated on b. if you have any news.

Of course sysvinit would play an important role in non-linux architectures.

While I'm in no position to give any concrete advise. try to see if
you can somehow increase the verbosity to actually see what issue is
happening ? Something on the lines of perhaps
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/124566/how-to-debug-init-d-script-that-isnt-being-run
or https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/115623/debian-init-d-with-a-working-c-daemon-unexpected-results

I looked at various questions/queries on init.d and the above were few
which I thought might be of some help.

Look forward to having gnukhata on debian.

Till l8er.