Re: sound cards / Indian Debian developers.

On Sun, 8 Sep 2013, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

Quoting Faheem Mitha (2013-09-08 11:09:33)
On Sun, 8 Sep 2013, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
Hi Faheem,
Quoting Faheem Mitha (2013-09-07 22:12:38)

(as usual with Debian lists, remember to explicitly ask for cc on

Ok. I usually do that, but often they don't cc regardless. One person
told me he couldn't because it was against Debian list policy.

That person is misguided.

The page of that guide is referenced at top of http://lists.debian.org/
- in case you are bad at memorizing stuff like I am :-)

Great, thanks for the link. I don't think I've come across this page
before, though I've been posting to Debian mailing lists for the last
decade at least.

I suggest to use https://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia - I suggest add
yourself if you are fine with your private data being public.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, this does not currently have a
people list. As for myself, I have no official Debian affiliation; I'm
just a user.

You are a user. Period!

You just posted on a public mailinglist, both sharing insight of yours
and encouraging collaboration from others.  That's how "just" you are!

...I am a user too - besides being Debian developer :-)

Perhaps you misunderstood my suggestion...:

Well, I would have thought having my name there would be an indication that I am actively involved in the Indian Debian community, but I'm really not. Though I do file bug reports, contribute occasional patches, and during the past year made an abortive attempt to get a Debian package (ccl) into Debian.

 * Using our wiki provides equal access from both users and developers
 * List appear only when someone decides to publish her own info there

Don't add others - recommend them to reflect for themselves and do it
if they feel fine about it: Only when you do it yourself are you
familiar with operating the wiki and can later update or remove (if
you change your mind and is perhaps embarrassed to ask someone else
for help).

I have no plans/intention to add anyone else.

I didn't think so - sorry if I gave that impression.  If someone (you?)
starts this, I suggest explicitly mention that logic to encourage
privacy awareness to anyone editing the page.

Ok. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what would be the purpose of adding my name to that page? So local people know I exist and can contact me? Or for some more specific reason?

                                                          Regards, Faheem