Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg

On Mon, 8 May 2023 at 19:06, Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sun 07 May 2023 at 12:03PM +01, Luca Boccassi wrote:
>
> > Sure, this is in the context of the ongoing discussion in the TC about
> > revising their side of the advice.
>
> I think it's highly unlikely that we revise it rather than just reissue
> it, at the present time, because too many details are unsettled.
>
> > Also, we shouldn't lose sight of the reason why this was issued in the
> > first place: it is designed to stop a problem from happening, and that
> > problem can only happen when both conditions are true. I can't read
> > minds obviously, but I imagine that's the reason the RT advice was
> > worded as it was.
>
> It's designed to stop as-yet-unknown problems happening, too.

Well, sure, but we've been at this for years, any such problems should
really be known by now. This is with Bookworm as it stands of course,
when we go in and make more changes then we obviously have to be
careful, but that's the entire reason this thread exists and is still
going on.

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi