Re: All your package subscriptions have been cancelled

Hi!

On Thu, 2017-08-10 at 13:02:29 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Aug 2017, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > On Fri, 2017-08-04 at 02:19:59 -0000, owner@tracker.debian.org wrote:
> > > Debian Package Tracker.
> > > Here's the list of subscriptions which have been removed:
> > >
> > > * dpkg
> >
> > Hmm, could this be reverted please and any lists.debian.org and probably
> > alioth list whitelisted to avoid this kind of thing?

I see that the underlaying reasons are not clear at all here. What I
had in mind here was that:

Because I didn't know how (with which keywords) the list was subscribed
to, I thought perhaps reverting it from the server side would be easier.
If possible getting the old list of keywords would be helpful, and having
them printed out in the unsubscription message would also be helpful.

But I've found <https://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2008/01/msg00040.html>
with this list, which is what I used to resubscribe (although with the
different keyword names):

  * default
  * ddtp
  * upload-source
  * katie-other
  * derivatives
  * contact

The other reason for not trying to do that myself, was because I was
not sure whether there was a more serious problem, so I didn't want to
start playing subscription games for the system to start unsubscribing
them quickly after that. Listing the amount of bouncing would also
be nice, in a similar way how list.d.o does it, or even also sending
the pre-warnings about possibly imminent unsubscription with the
current and total amount to reach?

And lastly I wanted to avoid any confirmation mail going to the public
list. But from past interactions I see now it only ever sent
notifications of the changes.

In the end I went to tracker.d.o, created a new team, and subscribed
via that, but it seems it's not entirely the same, and now each
individual source is emitting the same info, and I might need to mute
those? Although it's not really clear from the UI what mute is going
to do: for the packages in general even if someone subscribes to them,
or only for the team address, or?

I found several problems with documentation, which I'll report. But
otherwise the process was nicer than before, thanks for that!

> Please subscribe again for now and file a wishlist bug against
> tracker.debian.org to request whitelisting of @lists.debian.org
> and @lists.alioth.debian.org in the bounce handler.

I can file requests for that and the above things.

> I looked at the last bounce that resulted in this:
>
>   debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org
>     SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
>     host bendel.debian.org [2001:41b8:202:deb:216:36ff:fe40:4002]:
>     550 5.7.1 No attachments allowed
>
> It was a spam faking UPS delivery with an attachement that was sent
> to dpkg@packages.debian.org.
>
> I suggest you disable the "contact" keyword in the tracker subscription
> for the list. It's useless since the packages.debian.org alias already
> sends the mail to the list.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks.

> What's the purpose of the mailing list tracker subscription BTW?

I cannot remember why it was subscribed, would need to check list
archives or similar, but my guess is to get notifications about things
that are not sent by default (besides the stock upload-source,
katie-other, buildd, contact and summary keywords), such as the
derivatives keyword.

> We could also improve the lists.debian.org configuration to not generate
> bounces for mails forwarded by (envelope from) *@tracker.debian.org, it
> could just drop them when they are undesired.

Yes.

Thanks,
Guillem