Re: [RFC/dpkg PATCH] Introducing an relaxed-Essential-like "Important" field

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 05:36:56PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Julian Andres Klode writes ("Re: [RFC/dpkg PATCH] Introducing an relaxed-Essential-like "Important" field"):
> > Are there any better proposals?
>
> Do we want this field to be ignored by old versions of the tools, or
> to prevent installation of the package ?  I think the answer is (a) in
> which case we probalby need a new field.
>
> If the answer were (b) we could use `Essential: sort-of' or something.

Definitely (a). Most software does not need to know about the field.

What options are there:

1. Important synonyms:
	Significant: yes
	Crucial: yes
	Vital: yes
2. Removal-related:
	Removable: no (or Removable: force)
	Do-Not-Remove: yes
	Discourages-Removal: yes
3. others
	Keep: yes

> I agree with the qualms about `important'.
>
> Also we need to consider how to allow the user to switch between
> different programs which have this flag set.  There needs to be a
> user-friendly flag on apt, I think.  (Maybe there already is.)

I'd believe that a Replaces/Breaks or Replaces/Conflicts from one
package to another providing the same feature set would be the
way to go.

> Perhaps the control field name should follow the UI decision.

I don't really know. Maybe "Removal of this package is
discouraged", thus something like:

	Discourages-Removal: yes

I think that's clear to anyone. But maybe it's too clear as
it basically restricts it to removal only.

Other things APT does with the field:

1. APT assigns "Important" packages a higher score than other
   packages in the solver (the solver treats Important as Essential)
2. APT treats Important packages like Essential when Breaking a
   loop with an early removal to prevent a temporary removal of
   it

You could say that both actually contribute to the goal of
preventing the removal, but (1) probably seems like a semantic not fit
for a field named like that.

Basically, we just dropped the immediate configuration part
APT does for essentials (apt-pkg/packagemanager.cc),
the automatically installing of new essential packages
(apt-pkg/upgrade.cc), and they do not get an extra score
in the ordering algorithm (apt-pkg/orderlist.cc).

--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev

When replying, only quote what is necessary, and write each reply
directly below the part(s) it pertains to (`inline'). Thank you.