Re: [RFC/dpkg PATCH] Introducing an relaxed-Essential-like "Important" field

Julian Andres Klode writes ("Re: [RFC/dpkg PATCH] Introducing an relaxed-Essential-like "Important" field"):
> Are there any better proposals?

Do we want this field to be ignored by old versions of the tools, or
to prevent installation of the package ?  I think the answer is (a) in
which case we probalby need a new field.

If the answer were (b) we could use `Essential: sort-of' or something.

I agree with the qualms about `important'.

Also we need to consider how to allow the user to switch between
different programs which have this flag set.  There needs to be a
user-friendly flag on apt, I think.  (Maybe there already is.)

Perhaps the control field name should follow the UI decision.

Ian.