Re: [RFC/dpkg PATCH] Introducing an relaxed-Essential-like "Important" field

Julian Andres Klode:
> Since a few years, APT supports an "Important" field that is similar
> to Essential, but without the requirement for those packages to be
> installed (they just need to remain installed) and the ordering
> constraints. Previously, it was already an alias for Essential in
> APT.
>
> I relaxed the meaning a few years ago to make it suitable for use
> on site-specific or system-specific configuration meta packages.
>
> I propose to make this field official and add support to dpkg
> for it, as there are new use cases for it, like init systems,
> e2fsprogs, and mount - packages that are not needed on all
> systems (like chroots), but once installed should probably
> remain installed.
>
> I attached a patch to add support for dpkg, it's also discussed
> in a spec in the wiki.
>
> I'd like some feedback.

> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/Spec/ImportantField

Hi,

I think the concept is good and and I like how it might be used to
reduce the essential set.

My personal minor concern is that "Important" might become ambiguous
since we also have a Priority labelled important[1].

Thanks,
~Niels

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-priorities