Re: Dpkg .list files far from complete?

Hi!

On Wed, 2015-10-21 at 11:56:00 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> > But you are partly reinventing "dpkg -V"...

These are in principle internal details, and the format of the db is
specified in the format file.

Yes, please.

If something is not properly documented, or not clear, please file a
bug report, so that it can be improved.

> >> Might add a few extra classes for some convenience functions, like reading
> >> the .list and .md5sums files... since I'm trying to avoid spawning hundreds
> >> of sub-processes by the tool, which would be orders of magnitude slower than
> >> reading them in-process.

«dpkg -L» can be used with multiple packages on the command-line, so
the queries can be batched. There's currently no interface to retrieve
md5sums files contents in bulk. There's only something like «dpkg-query
--control-show dpkg md5sums».

If «dpkg -V» is not good enough, I'd rather improve that. If you still
need to access those files from perl, I'd rather add the modules to
the libdpkg-perl packages, so that at least the internals are confined
in dpkg itself.

> >> Also had a question about how certain files, like those created in .postinst
> >> or .conffiles scripts, aren't included in the pkg.list file?  For instance,
> >> any of the python library packages generate .pyc files from the .py files,
> >> but the former aren't included in the bill-of-materials (i.e. the .list
> >> file).
> >>
> >> I'm writing a script that runs on a system and finds all
> >> deleted/added/modified files on that system per the Dpkg information.
> >>
> >> For instance, if you had:
> >>
> >> /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/backbone.xml
> >>
> >> that would show up as an "added" file, related to the libvirt-daemon-system
> >> package.
> >>
> >> If you modified (i.e. md5sum mismatch with the .md5sums file) the file:
> >>
> >> /usr/share/misc/pci.ids
> >>
> >> that would show up as a "modified" file, belonging to the pciutils
> >> bill-of-materials.
> >>
> >> But I'm seeing about 13,000 files on my system that look like they are
> >> related to packages, but don't appear in the .list files for the installed
> >> packages (like all the .pyc files).
> >>
> >> Is there a way to relate those files to their packages that I'm not figuring
> >> out?

Currently not in native way, no. See
<https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#Q:_Can_dpkg_handle_volatile_files.3F>,
but see below…

> >> I know that in the RPM 4.0 packaging, ALL files related to a package
> >> (including socket files in /var/run, or synthesized config files like
> >> sendmail.cf), must be explicitly called out.
> >>
> >> What am I missing here?

you might not be aware of the cruft package, which seems to be doing
in a way what you describe above. And it has a list of such files, but
I'm not sure how comprehensive it is.

Thanks,
Guillem