Re: Idea: rsync-based source format

Hi,

Quoting Guillem Jover (2015-08-30 04:21:22)
> On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 16:09:38 +0200, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> > both, src:popt and src:rsync are part of the strong B-D-transitive essential
> > set, even when assuming that bootstrapping is done through crossbuilding
> > (m-a:foreign packages do not have to be compiled) and that arch:all packages
> > do not have to be rebuilt:
> >
> > http://bootstrap.debian.net/essential.html
>
> I guess that depends on how you define the build-essential set. :)
> Yours seem to be one related to bootstrapping, with source dependencies
> included. For me it is whatever ends up being installed after installing
> build-essential on an essential system, and in that case neither rsync
> nor libpopt0 get pulled in. The fact that they might be needed for
> bootstrapping is to me an internal implementation detail, that could
> easily change over time, which is a bit different to them being pulled
> by dpkg-dev as part of the source format, as they would be an external
> implementation detail.

I completely agree with your reasoning.

I only added this not because Ian originally said:

    rsync is extremely portable and has very limited build-dependencies.
    libacl and libattr are surely already in the needed-for-essential set, let
    alone needed-for-build-essential.  I'm not sure whether libpopt is already
    in the needed-for-boostrap-to-build-essential set, but its only build
    dependencies are debhelper, dh-autoreconf, and gettext.

And that meant to me that he was looking at a set "related to bootstrapping,
with source dependencies included".

cheers, josch