Re: Idea: rsync-based source format

Hi!

On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 16:09:38 +0200, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> both, src:popt and src:rsync are part of the strong B-D-transitive essential
> set, even when assuming that bootstrapping is done through crossbuilding
> (m-a:foreign packages do not have to be compiled) and that arch:all packages
> do not have to be rebuilt:
>
> http://bootstrap.debian.net/essential.html

I guess that depends on how you define the build-essential set. :)
Yours seem to be one related to bootstrapping, with source dependencies
included. For me it is whatever ends up being installed after installing
build-essential on an essential system, and in that case neither rsync
nor libpopt0 get pulled in. The fact that they might be needed for
bootstrapping is to me an internal implementation detail, that could
easily change over time, which is a bit different to them being pulled
by dpkg-dev as part of the source format, as they would be an external
implementation detail.

Thanks,
Guillem