Re: understanding dpkg trigger cycles

[removing d-release from CC and replying to both mails at once]

Hi,

Quoting Holger Levsen (2014-12-11 20:04:02)
> On Donnerstag, 11. Dezember 2014, Guillem Jover wrote:
> [list of packages that can generate trigger cycles]
> > BTW, would it be possible to have this generated, say once a week? I
> > assume the major roadblock here is the need to get an up-to-date list
> > of trigger control files? We could export a list from lilburn for
> > example?
>
> give me such a script and I'll be happy to run it regularily (weekly, daily,
> whatever) on jenkins.debian.net, with email+irc notifications to your likings.
>
> Prefered way to give me such a script is by filing a bug report against
> qa.debian.org or sending git patches as described on jenkins.debian.net or
> just plain old email works too :-)

I'll gladly make a script with jenkins as the target platform to run it on.

Though as guillem points out, the major roadblock is indeed not having an
up-to-date list of trigger control files.

For this, it would be enough to know which binary packages contain a
DEBIAN/triggers file so that one can then download and inspect those further.

But to extend this service further with a heuristic, it would be necessary to
also be able to acquire a list of packages that contains a
DEBIAN/{post,pre}{inst,rm} maintainer script which contain certain strings.
The results could then be used for a heuristic which takes into account
possible trigger activation through maintainer scripts.

According to a grep done by Helmut, there currently seem to be 1700 source
packages which create binary packages that contain maintainer scripts
containing strings of program names which either are or call dpkg-trigger.

Quoting Niels Thykier (2014-12-11 20:10:43)
> On 2014-12-11 19:59, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > BTW, would it be possible to have this generated, say once a week? I assume
> > the major roadblock here is the need to get an up-to-date list of trigger
> > control files? We could export a list from lilburn for example?
> Personally, I would recommend that you found a different server/method to
> provide these files.  There has been talk about moving the lintian setup to a
> different server and having lintian use tmpfs for working on packages.

How could the list of binary packages with DEBIAN/triggers files or even the
list of binary packages which contain maintainer scripts with some magic
strings in them be made available for consumption by jenkins for example?

Helmut suggested making this script a plugin for dedup.debian.net because that
already has access to the content of all binary packages in debian.

I have no idea really who to best ask these questions :)

Thanks!

cheers, josch