Re: Explicit arch qualifiers in “Depends” field

Hi Thibaut,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 08:50:24PM +0200, Thibaut Girka wrote:

> A small set of packages would benefit from explicit arch qualifiers in
> *-Depends.  Indeed, a cross-compiler, for instance, is meant to run on a
> certain (build) architecture and use libs from the foreign (host)
> architecture.  This isn't actually possible in Debian, since the MultiArch
> spec only allows the “:any” qualifier, and dpkg actually reject anything
> different from “any”.

Yes, this is disallowed in the current multiarch specification, but is an
area for future expansion in connection with the building of cross-compilers
and similar cases.

At last DebConf, the release team and ftp team agreed that this is a
reasonable thing to support, though we don't yet have a roadmap for how to
get there.

> 2. Should a package be able to depend on a package regardless of its M-A
>      field?  I think it only makes sense for a package to depend on a
>      “M-A: same” or “M-A: allowed” package, “M-A: foreign” packages
>      providing arch-independent interfaces, and M-A unaware packages
>      probably being unwanted.  On the other hand, explicitly disallowing
>      other packages would probably be unnecessary work.

If we're going to support explicit cross-arch dependencies, I believe they
should be allowed regardless of the M-A field on the target package.
Certainly, there's no reason to permit it for M-A: allowed packages but not
for M-A: none packages, since an M-A: allowed package is always treated as
either M-A: foreign or M-A: none.  And even for an M-A: foreign package,
there might be special circumstances where you want to specify the
architecture, such as when creating a metapackage of some kind.