Re: dpkg fails to install 32-bit adobe acrobat reader on 64-bit wheezy system: depends issue

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 16:06:19 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Chris Hiestand <chiestand@salk.edu> writes:
> > libxml2 source shows that it has "Architecture: any", so I'd imagine
> > that should be not be a conflict even though there is no Multi-Arch
> > field.
>
> No, that's only for source packages and indicates that the package *can*
> be built on any architecture.  Architecture: all in a binary package means
> it can be installed on any architecture; otherwise, it's an
> architcture-specific binary package and must be multiarch to be
> installable as a non-native architecture (without --force options, of
> course).

To be precise, a foreign arch package could be installed regardless
of its multiarch status, as long as there's no other instance present
on the system and dpkg has been configured to recognize that foreign
arch.

regards,
guillem