Re: Upcoming dpkg 1.16.2 upload

On Wed, 2012-02-29 at 06:53:10 +0100, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Guillem Jover (guillem@debian.org):
> > Despite the circumstances, I've still managed to find some motivation
> > to work on finishing reviewing and fixing code. Last week I got the

> I found really great that even while you were (from your POV) forced
> to have dpkg uploaded to unstable while you disagreed with the upload,
> you didn't take this as a personal attack and continued to work on the
> package.
>
> This is a really difficult decision to take: it's much more easy to
> say that such things shouldn't be taken personnally than really apply
> this concept and not take things as personal.

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint then, but I've not taken it gracefully,
and my possible lack of a more visceral reaction, does not imply I'm
not even more annoyed than I've been during the past last year.

The thing is, the fact that I've found the multiarch branch technically
unnacceptable for merge (some people seem to think I've been “stalling”
for no reason...), does not change even if people who have apparently
not even reviewed the code claim so, and as such anything I've found
broken or bogus about it, I'll keep finding that way and will keep
having the urge to eventually fix, not doing so would imply I'm not
taking proper care of dpkg, at which point I might as well quit (which
has already crossed my mind), or more likely continue hacking on the
code elsewhere (because that's the remaining part I'm actually still
enjoying).

On the other hand I've also become disappointed after possibly realizing
that Debian's culture seems to have been shifting into something different
than what it was when I joined, where technical excellence seems to be
less important than rushing things out, patience is not considered an
important virtue anymore, but being pushy and demanding are, etc.
Which means I've been and will be reconsidering what my involvment in
the project should be.

> [...] and I really hope that the difficult times we had are now over.

Sadly, given the current environment and fundamental philosophical and
working style incompatibilities, I doubt that...

regards,
guillem