Re: Multi-arch branches

Hi,

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Since apparently the only remaining blocker for an upload to the archive
> seems to be time, I prepared a “Team upload” targeted at experimental,
> using the 1.16.2~multiarch version.

I'm pretty sure you know it, but on my side the "blocker" is not time but
agreement from Guillem.

> For that, I needed to fix a make distcheck failure, so you can find both
> the patch to fix it, and the patch to finalize this release at:
>   http://people.debian.org/~kibi/dpkg

Thanks, I have queued the fix for the make distcheck failure. I will push
it once alioth comes back.

> I plan to upload it no later than Friday, and even earlier if I get some
> enthusiastic ACKS. :)

I won't ack this but I don't want to nack it either. If Guillem were not
there, I would be pretty happy to merge the current code and to upload it.

And Guillem has had more than enough time to finish his review and cleanup
of the code, he first promised[1] the release of 1.16.2 with multiarch as
usual after the usual 2 month of developement time. We know that this did
not happen but I waited longer because Guillem showed good sign of
progress in november and early december. He then told me that it should be
possible to finish this for Christmas. Again the delay was not respected.
December and January have been very quiet despite one (private) mail of
Guillem who assured me that he was back from vacation and that he would
continue to work on the merge. He did it to some extent but the amount of
progress is way too small to give me any confidence in Guillem's ability
to finish this in a reasonable delay.

There's still 31 commits in the external multiarch branch, pretty much the
same than at the end of november when I announced that the half of the
branch had been merged[2] (there were 66 commits initially). Of course,
some of the work that Guillem did involved creating new commits so those
statistics are not 100% accurate to represent the progress. But still,
they are depressing. :-(

Cheers,

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2011/10/msg00053.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2011/11/msg00076.html