Re: Proposal for a "Bits from dpkg developers"

Hi,

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Guillem Jover wrote:
> I reworded some things, and added the new stuff since 1.15.7 that I
> mentioned on my other mail. Hope to not have missed anything else
> important/user visible. Please take a look, and feel free to send.

Thanks! It looks great, I made a few typo fixes, added a sentence wrt
Jonathan's concern and sent it.

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> |  If the trigger processing is not critical for the activating package
> |  to actually work, then you should consider using these new
> |  directives. If you do so, you will have to add a
> |  “Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.16.1)” to ensure the new dpkg is
> |  installed even before your package is unpacked. See deb-triggers(5)
> |  for details.
>
> Has it been discussed on debian-devel whether such a Pre-Depends
> is worth it, and if so for which packages?

No, I expect each package maintainer to discuss it if they feel the need.
I put a sentence for this in the final version I just sent.

> I personally think that it really would be worth it in this case for
> any package of priority "standard" or lower (and maybe even packages
> of priority "important").

More than the priority of the package, it's the impact of the trigger
that must be considered. IMO it's totally worth it for a package like
man-db whose triggers is almost always activated.

bash-completion is not priority standard but was intending to have a
trigger on /bin /usr/bin and so on. This one should definitely need
to use the new form too!

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)