Re: Understanding debdelta.

Dear Shirish and dpkg-devel,

I am writing a complete debdelta documentation, see in
http://debdelta.debian.net/html/

let me also mention that Ubuntu is interested in deploying debdelta as
well, see in
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-o-debdelta/

Il 08/05/2011 07:07, shirish शिरीष ha scritto:
> [...]
> Anyway while I'm no power user, please correct me as I see the things
> I have to do.
>
> a. $ sudo aptitude install -t experimental debdelta

OK
> b. gksudo leafpad (or whatever favorite text editor)
> /etc/debdelta/sources.conf , see if this file is there, if not
> add/append it.
>
> [main debian archive]
> Origin=Debian
> Label=Debian
> delta_uri=http://debdeltas.debian.net/debian-deltas

the file should be there and already contain those lines
> c. Change my /etc/apt/sources.list say from
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

> deb http://ftp.linux.it/ sid main contrib non-free
>
> just to take an example.

No! there is no need to change /etc/apt/sources.conf ; you just need to
have a line pointing to a mirror of the Debian archive (of your choice),
and since you already have , then it is fine
> d. Then do $sudo aptitude update and then $sudo debdelta-upgrade .

1st of all: despite of the name, debdelta-upgrade does not really
"upgrade" packages, it just recreates those that would be used for a
successive 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. So the sequence should be

# apt-get update
# debdelta-upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade

and similarly for aptitude

> Now while the three above steps seem to be okish, I am not really
> certain of the fourth. What I usually do is
>
> $sudo aptitude safe-upgrade as well as $sudo aptitude dist-upgrade and
> then see which of them have either some grave/serious bugs which might
> make my desktop not so stable ( via apt-listbugs)
>
> Finding the least costly/safe way I usually end up doing
>
> $sudo aptitude install foo (where foo is/are the package/s with the
> upgrade) and aptitude does the necessary thing. How would I do the
> same with debdelta-upgrade ?

if you specify a list of package names to debdelta-upgrade, e.g.
# debdelta-upgrade foobar libfoobar
then only those packages will be recreated ; after that you call
'aptitude install foobar libfoobar'

(all this will be much more convenient once the integration of debdelta
in APT is done!)
> Also how would it work with say something like deb
> http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental iceweasel-5.0

it does not work, as long as no one is generating a repository of deltas
for that archive ( if someone ever will, then they will also tell you
which stanza to add in /etc/debdelta/sources.conf )

a.