Re: How should this string be translated?

Hi Peter

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Peter Krefting <peter@softwolves.pp.se> wrote:
> Ask Hjorth Larsen:
>
>> I managed to write a translation with less than 80 character long lines. I
>> notice that the French translation exceeds 80 characters/line - is this not
>> a problem?
>
> It should be kept within the 80-character limit. For the Swedish
> translation, I had to wrap it into an extra line to fit the most recent
> changes. Have a look at po/sv.po for ideas (that goes for all the
> translations; I find it very useful to look at existing Norwegian and Danish
> translations for reference when translating to Swedish).
>
> --
> \\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/

Thank you for the response.  I also had to add extra lines (at first I
wasn't sure whether that would be alright, but after figuring out that
it was 'just' a header it seemed reasonable) to avoid incomprehensible
abbreviations.  It's also a bit tricky to get the ascii art right.
Looking at another language can help a lot, but you also risk that the
other translators got it wrong.  For example the previous Danish
translation did not indicate the correct abbreviations.  Translator
comments can sometimes prevent grave mistakes, and also save a lot of
time, so I would definitely recommend putting them above strings like
this one.  (I don't want to preach, but this was the most perplexing
string I've seen :))

Best regards
Ask