Re: How should this string be translated?

Ask Hjorth Larsen wrote:

> Hi, I'm translating dpkg into Danish.  What does the string in the
> following piece of code mean, and roughly how should it be translated?
>
> fputs(_("\
> Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold\n\
> | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend\n\
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)\n"), stdout);

This is the header at the top of dpkg -l output, labelling the columns
and the possible status letters they can contain.

Left column (desired state, or in other words, selection state):

	U = unknown to dpkg (i.e., not listed by dpkg --get-selections)
	I = install
	R = deinstall
	P = purge
	H = hold (keep current version)

Middle column (current status, or in other words, package state):

	N = not installed
	I = installed (unpacked and configured)
	C = config-files (removed but not purged)
	U = unpacked
	F = half-configured
	H = half-installed (not completely unpacked)
	W = awaiting trigger processing by another package
	T = triggered

Third column (error indicator, or in other words, package flags):

	R = broken and in need of reinstallation

In both the middle and third columns, capital letters indicate problems.
See dpkg(1) for more about this.

As for how to translate it --- maybe the French translation would be a
good example to imitate.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan