Re: file filtering in dpkg -i

Hi Martin,

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Martin Pitt wrote:
> I found surprisingly little precedent for this, the only one is Neil's
> blog entry from 2007 [1].
>
> I would be happy to work on an implementation of this, i. e. an
> --ignore option which taskes regexps for files which should be ignored
> on package extraction. .

There is code implementing this. It has been made by Tollef Fog Heen
(Mithrandir) and it went through review by guillem at that time, it was
almost ready to be merged but somehow went into the limbo.

> Is this a feature which you would want and accept upstream in Debian?

Yes. It would be nice to have someone bring Mithrandir's work up-to-date
against the current master branch so that it can be merged.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2008/01/msg00011.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2008/04/msg00013.html

It needs:
- an update
- documentation written
- new corresponding non-regression tests in pkg-tests.git

Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/
My Debian goals: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/09/debian-related-goals-for-2010/