Re: (not) simplifying dpkg-shlibdeps with readelf

Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> writes:
> 2010/4/27 Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>:

>> I have a hard time imagining Debian ever supporting non-ELF
>> targets.  We'd need to maintain a completely separate libc, for
>> instance, since I'm fairly sure glibc is ELF only.

> uClibc is on the archive (not usable for runtime), it was also added
> to dpkg as a new architecture, maybe someday we'll have a uClibc (w/
> MMU and w/o MMU).

I'm fairly sure that uClibc is ELF.

> We might need to support flat binaries for that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "flat binaries" here.  ELF versus non-ELF is
a much more fundamental distinction than, say, whether or not something is
dynamically linked.  I don't believe the Linux kernel will even run
non-ELF binaries without special module support.

> There are also some teams and individuals which have the desire to
> work on mobile world having Debian on them, for such purposes and
> maybe not officially, there is space for a bionic libc or some others
> that might be suitable for such purposes.

I see no reason why embedded platforms can't use ELF.  ELF is very common
in the embedded world even entirely apart from Linux.