Re: dpkg feature implementation

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:21:20 +0530, dE . wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Michael Gilbert wrote:

> >> It might be more complicated for the developers, but -
> >> 1) Making a CD/DVD.
> >
> > You don't have to burn the discs, you only need to mount them.
> >

> But someone has to make the repository....

Not really.  Each iso contain parts of the full repository.  Thus, if
you mount all of the isos, then you have the full repository.

> >> 2) Making the fstab entries.
> >> 3) manipulating the packaging system configuration.
> >
> > This is something that can be figured out with existing documentation.
> > Perhaps a write-up for this specific use-case would be useful.
> >

> People are not willing to read, they want the job done fast, they are
> ready to spend money for it, they are even ready to compromise a bit
> of security at times.

There are other venues that already serve users with that perspective
very well.

> >> Is IMO much harder than -
> >> 1) Double clicking on the file.
> >> 2) Pressing the install button to install it.
> >
> > This is undesirable for many reasons.  Users should strive to use only
> > signed packages to guard against malware (see recent gnome-look
> > issue).  Sometimes ease-of-use needs to take a back seat.  There are
> > other operating systems that make software installation as easy as your
> > two-step process and they suffer the consequences.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> The sdebp package will contain deb packages which are signed. You are
> generally always at risks when downloading a 3rd party
> software...either it be sources or deb packages...the risks are equal.
> All this will do is make software installation easier in offline
> cases, and at times when things are not in the repository.

That's why users should strive to avoid unsigned (3rd party) software
altogether.  BTW, the offline mode problem doesn't seem like it should
be a driving force for this problem since you still would need to
download the sdeb, so you would need a net connection at some point.
So you could either download all the dependencies (which yes would be
tedious), or download the isos and copy them to your offline machine.

Mike