Re: dpkg feature implementation

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Michael Gilbert
<michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:55:34 +0530, dE . wrote:
>> The solution that I'm proposing is a super dep package. A single
>> 'sdebp' file which's suppose to install a singe software (mostly a
>> meta package for e.g kde) but contains all dependencies which might be
>> required by the package relative to a fresh OS install. A command to
>> make dpkg install this package will make it check all the dependencies
>> which are required to be installed from this super deb package in the
>> current system. Thus only the required will be installed to satisfy
>> the dependency of the meta package.
>
> This is an overly complicated solution to an already solved problem.
> Just mount the debian dvd/cd isos using the "loop" option (can be
> done automatically with an appropriate /etc/fstab) and add the mounted
> path to your apt sources.list.
>
> Best wishes,
> Mike

It might be more complicated for the developers, but -
1) Making a CD/DVD.
2) Making the fstab entries.
3) manipulating the packaging system configuration.

Is IMO much harder than -
1) Double clicking on the file.
2) Pressing the install button to install it.