Re: dpkg feature implementation

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 21:22:16 +0530, dE . wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Michael Gilbert
> <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:55:34 +0530, dE . wrote:
> >> The solution that I'm proposing is a super dep package. A single
> >> 'sdebp' file which's suppose to install a singe software (mostly a
> >> meta package for e.g kde) but contains all dependencies which might be
> >> required by the package relative to a fresh OS install. A command to
> >> make dpkg install this package will make it check all the dependencies
> >> which are required to be installed from this super deb package in the
> >> current system. Thus only the required will be installed to satisfy
> >> the dependency of the meta package.
> >
> > This is an overly complicated solution to an already solved problem.
> > Just mount the debian dvd/cd isos using the "loop" option (can be
> > done automatically with an appropriate /etc/fstab) and add the mounted
> > path to your apt sources.list.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Mike
> >
> It might be more complicated for the developers, but -
> 1) Making a CD/DVD.

You don't have to burn the discs, you only need to mount them.

> 2) Making the fstab entries.
> 3) manipulating the packaging system configuration.

This is something that can be figured out with existing documentation.
Perhaps a write-up for this specific use-case would be useful.

> Is IMO much harder than -
> 1) Double clicking on the file.
> 2) Pressing the install button to install it.

This is undesirable for many reasons.  Users should strive to use only
signed packages to guard against malware (see recent gnome-look
issue).  Sometimes ease-of-use needs to take a back seat.  There are
other operating systems that make software installation as easy as your
two-step process and they suffer the consequences.

Mike