Re: Conffiles

On Sun, Jan 03 2010, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Do conffiles have to be regular files? Policy does not seem to be
>> explicit about this (although I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this),
>> it seems to just talk about "files".
>
> I don't believe that listing symlinks as conffiles works properly at the
> moment.  See #421344.  It doesn't make any sense to list a directory as a
> conffile.  I think that exhausts all the non-regular files that can be in
> a Debian package.

        A conffile is, after all, a configuration file. As such, it
 contains configuration data, and user changes to such data is what
 policy is concerned about preserving. Merely the presence or absence of
 a inode or a link does not rise to the level of "configuration data",
 in my view.  Why add restrictions on what people can do?

        Now, if the target of the symlink is under /etc, then the target
 is really the configuration file, if  the target does not lie under
 /etc, we have a policy violation.

> Symlinks as conffiles should ideally work.  I think it's just a bug in
> dpkg that they don't.

        While it could be made to work, I am not sure I agree that the
 result would require the same protection in policy.

        I am willing to be persuaded otherwise on this.

        manoj
--
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists ... in the loved
one, perfection." -Sidney Poitier