Re: Conffiles

Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the quick answer. FWIW, this question comes because
> checkinstall currently tags everything as a conffile, which caused dpkg
> to fail when directories were tagged.

Yeah, I don't think it makes sense to tag a directory as a conffile.  The
sort of management of a directory implied by the rules for a conffile is
basically done already, automatically, provided that the contents of the
directory are all marked as conffiles or are other directories.

Policy does specifically talk about files, and conventionally directories
are not considered files, but it might be worth adding something
clarifying there.  It's also worth saying something about symlinks, so
I'll open a bug on Debian Policy to document that.