Re: dpkg-checkbuilddeps to generate a frontend friendly package list

> George Danchev wrote:
> > Hello,
> > (I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC)
> >
> > From time to time people ask (myself included) about frontend friendly
> > list generated by dpkg-checkbuilddeps so that they can pass it to their
> > favorite frontend like apt, aptitude, or cupt to install/remove
> > build-depends and build-conflicts.
>
> My 2 cents:
>
> 1: Just in case you may be interested there is a short script
> 'pbuilder-satisfydepends-cupt' in the patch attached to #545794 that does
> almost what you want;
>
> 2: If the list is passed to some package tool, I see no reason to
> introduce/depend on some another functionality by dpkg.

The hard dependency of libapt-pkg-perl could be avoided by a run-time check in
the script itself, and the installation of that package is only suggested if
the relevant functionality is to be used. Does that sound sane enough?

if ($frontend) {
    eval { require AptPkg };
	die "-f requires libapt-pkg-perl package to be installed\n";
    }
}

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>