Re: dpkg-checkbuilddeps to generate a frontend friendly package list

> George Danchev wrote:
> > Hello,
> > (I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC)
> >
> > From time to time people ask (myself included) about frontend friendly
> > list generated by dpkg-checkbuilddeps so that they can pass it to their
> > favorite frontend like apt, aptitude, or cupt to install/remove
> > build-depends and build-conflicts.
>
> My 2 cents:
>
> 1: Just in case you may be interested there is a short script
> 'pbuilder-satisfydepends-cupt' in the patch attached to #545794 that does
> almost what you want;

This sounds good, however that assumes that pbuilder is also used, which is a
different use-case. I can use my main system or enter a couple of chroots
without pbuilder. OTOH, dpkg-dev is not on the same boat, it is almost always
available when it comes to building (build-essential depends on it;-)

> 2: If the list is passed to some package tool, I see no reason to
> introduce/depend on some another functionality by dpkg.

It all boils down to by which package such a tool should be shipped. I don't
claim dpkg-dev is the only one, in fact I'm still unsure to which package such
a tool belongs to. And of course I don't want to add an extra dependency to
dpkg-dev just for the sake of such a tool. That's why I asked ;-)

> Just pass all
> build-{depends,conflicts}[-indep] from the source file (like .dsc) and let
> that tool handle it.

How is parsing *.dsc any better than inspecting debian/control wrt Build-*
fields? Dpkg module already does that for me, and AptPkg gives enough power to
manage package versions availability and various comparisons. And to be
honest, imo these modules are much nicer and beat any shell code already
provided.

In my previous message I referred to two possible classes of users:
* these who want to let their frontend to pick the best selection for them.
* these who want to pass a prepared list of selection to their frontend.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>