Re: Enhancing 3.0 (git) source package format

Johan Kiviniemi <debian-dpkg-list@johan.kiviniemi.name> writes:

> Hi,
>
> It seems the current format of the 3.0 (git) style source packages
> could be improved somewhat.
>
> Currently, dpkg-source seems to create a tarball of the .git tree
> under the working directory (with some exclusions).
>
> This leads to the following issues:

Artifically bloated snapshots of the developers git repository in the
debian source that are 99.99% useless.

> â?¢ Git keeps unreferenced objects around in the local repository for a
> while in case you want to undo an accidental deletion of e.g. a commit
> or a branch. These deleted objects end up in the generated source
> tarball (I checked).
>
> â?¢ Git is good at creating an efficiently packed archive of objects. By
> just creating a tarball of objects in whatever order they appear under
> .git/objects and gzipping it, you lose the advantage of having e.g.
> various revisions of the same file next to each other when
> compressing. In addition, Git does delta encoding between file
> revisions.
>
> â?¢ Extra files, such as COMMIT_EDITMSG, hooks and config are added to
> the source package. It appears this may be intentional, since they
> arenâ??t excluded by dpkg-source -b, but should they *really* go into
> the source package? Whenever your real Git repository is cloned, they
> arenâ??t retained anyway.
>
> In addition, dpkg-source explicitly has to make the hooks
> non-executable for security reasons. Might as well not include them in
> the first place in my *humble* opinion.
>
> My proposal:

Remove 3.0 (qit) format completly. A full history bloats the source
and a cut down history has no advantage over a plain source.

It is far more usefull to put the url for the real git repository into
the control file. The number of people wanting to use git (instead of
just a snapshot of the source) but unable to git clone from the
internet is really miniscule and does not warrant the bloat for
everybody else.

Just my 2c,
        Goswin