Re: Installing packages to a foreign system

On 10/7/2009 7:44 PM, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Well, you can be sure it won't happen if you don't bind mount /sys,
/proc, and /dev into the chroot.  But I guess that answers my question
then; if a package fails to install because there is no /sys, /proc,
and /dev, then it is broken and should be bug reported.

Nah, you can need those.

If the package requires them to install, then it will not work when you are trying to install to a foreign system since if it is not running, it has no /proc, /dev, and /sys, and any one that is provided would belong to the installing system, not the system being installed to, so the package would end up manipulating the wrong system.