Re: debhelper, start-stop-daemon -exec, and restarting daemons during upgrade

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 04:24:31 +0300, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 20:36:00 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Guillem Jover wrote:
> > > The test on <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=471060#37>
> > > seems bogus to me, as the original file would have been removed at
> > > "postinst configure" time, and s-s-d should work then.
> >
> > It doesn't matter if dictd is copied to dictd.orig as in my example, or
> > deleted entirely.
>
> It does matter, deleted files are special cased.

Just to clarify, for upgrades the original file is not directly deleted,
but in shell examples that's the closest we can do to test the
behaviour. Something like this roughly simulates what dpkg would do:

  $ s-s-d start dictd
  $ cd /usr/sbin
  $ cp /bin/ls dictd.new
  $ ln dictd dictd.old
  $ mv dictd.new dictd
  $ rm dict.old
  $ s-s-d stop dictd

and this should work on the shell and when done by dpkg.

regards,
guillem