Re: debhelper, start-stop-daemon -exec, and restarting daemons during upgrade

Guillem Jover wrote:
> The test on <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=471060#37>
> seems bogus to me, as the original file would have been removed at
> "postinst configure" time, and s-s-d should work then.

It doesn't matter if dictd is copied to dictd.orig as in my example, or
deleted entirely.

start-stop-daemon -exec checks to see if the process it is stopping has
an executable that is the same as the specified filename. On upgrade,
dpkg replaces one dictd executable with the other, so by postinst
configure time it will behave as I describe.

--
see shy jo