Re: Britney(2) and dpkg

On Mon, 05 May 2008, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
> * 2008-05-05 20:26, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Well, this code excerpt doesn't tell us at all how dpkg is currently used
> > in britney. Can you point us to the relevant code ?
>
> The very only feature of dpkg needed by britney is checking if a given
> package is installable or not within a given set of packages. What britney
> should be able to do is to build a system of binary packages and check the
> installability of (some of) them evaluating dependencies, conflicts and so
> on.

I understood this, but since I'm not familiar with the C code of dpkg this
doesn't map nicely to function names in my head... that's why looking at
the actual dpkg code used by britney would be helpful to identify your
needs.

> > In the end, I suppose that the right path is to export whatever is needed
> > in libdpkg and make that library a shared one instead of a statically
> > linked one. After that you can of course build a python wrapper module.
>
> That's the my idea, but for that I need some help to figure out at least
> where I should look for. :-)

In the "lib" subdirectory of the dpkg source archive? :-)

> > But you will have to talk to Guillem for more specific details.
>
> What is the best way to reach him, other than this mailing list?

"braindmg" or "guillem" on IRC.

Raphaël Hertzog