Re: Britney(2) and dpkg

On Mon, 05 May 2008, Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
> * 2008-05-05 20:26, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Well, this code excerpt doesn't tell us at all how dpkg is currently used
> > in britney. Can you point us to the relevant code ?
> The very only feature of dpkg needed by britney is checking if a given
> package is installable or not within a given set of packages. What britney
> should be able to do is to build a system of binary packages and check the
> installability of (some of) them evaluating dependencies, conflicts and so
> on.

I understood this, but since I'm not familiar with the C code of dpkg this
doesn't map nicely to function names in my head... that's why looking at
the actual dpkg code used by britney would be helpful to identify your

> > In the end, I suppose that the right path is to export whatever is needed
> > in libdpkg and make that library a shared one instead of a statically
> > linked one. After that you can of course build a python wrapper module.
> That's the my idea, but for that I need some help to figure out at least
> where I should look for. :-)

In the "lib" subdirectory of the dpkg source archive? :-)

> > But you will have to talk to Guillem for more specific details.
> What is the best way to reach him, other than this mailing list?

"braindmg" or "guillem" on IRC.

Raphaël Hertzog