Where is my init script?

I am trying to make a debian package out of a piece of third party binary software which will run as a daemon.

Using the various intro web pages on the subject, I ended up with this snippet in the rules file:

binary-arch: build install
   dh_testdir
   dh_testroot
   dh_installchangelogs
   dh_install
   dh_installinit
   dh_compress
   dh_fixperms
   dh_installdeb
   dh_gencontrol
   dh_md5sums
   dh_builddeb

This builds a fine package, and when I run dpkg -c <filename> I see it has my init script in /etc/init.d.

I then run dpkg -i <filename> and it installs, but no file in /etc/init.d ...

When I run dpkg -L <packagename> it claims it's there, but it isn't.

What am I doing wrong?
--
cg