Re: ChangeLog handling and git wrapper for translators

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 10:39:19PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > We'll just have to run "maint-tools/update-changelos" once before each
> > release to update all the ChangeLogs. This will avoid many conflicts on
> > ChangeLogs... and it will be one hassle less for contributors.
>
> I was wondering if you were aware of the existing git2cl script
> (see http://josefsson.org/git2cl/)? It has a very interesting
> method of using --numstat to include file information without
> having to specify that in the commit message.
>
> Just so that all options are known... I'm still not convinced we
> really need a GNU format changelog.

BTW, such a script regenerates the full ChangeLog file AFAIK. What I like
in my script is that you can hand-edit the ChangeLog file if you really
want, only the new content is auto-generated, the rest is kept.

It's important as we have many old entries where we don't have meaningful
git commit messages.

Raphaël Hertzog