Re: ChangeLog handling and git wrapper for translators

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 09:10:08AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > > P.S.: If people insist on using the GNU changelog format I would suggest
> > > collapsing succeeding entries which have identical date and author
> > > information and loose the blank line between the summary and the
> > > changes. This would make it look more traditional and saves a lot of
> > > screen space.
> >
> > Well, I think it's important to see each commit separately and merging
>
> Why?

I have the feeling that we would confuse several commit messages into a
single one.

Don't you find it awkward to see something like this ?

    Dpkg::Shlibs::SymbolFile: included files don't need to repeat the header line

    Adjust the parser to remember the current soname when processing an
    included file so that it doesn't need to repeat (and duplicate!) a header
    line. Update dpkg-gensymbols's manual page accordingly. And add a
    non-regression test for this feature.

    French translation update for scripts

    Bump Standards-Version to 3.7.3 (no changes)

    dpkg-shlibdeps.pl: doesn't warn any more about libm.so.6 being unused

    If the binary is also linked against libstdc++, the warning is suppressed
    since g++ always add an implicit -lm.

Obviously I took unrelated change by different authors at different dates, but
I care only about the fact that reading this, you don't see directly where
each logical change starts and ends.

Raphaël Hertzog