Re: Is it possible to make a deb package in non-debian system butonly dpkg installed?

Le jeudi 01 novembre 2007 à 18:00 +0900, Inuk You a écrit :
Le mercredi 31 octobre 2007 à 14:57 +0900, Inuk You a écrit :

> > Inuk You wrote:
> >
> >> So once I've installed dpkg and checkinstall in the system.
> >> Is it problem to try to make .deb in non-debian system? (but dpkg is
> >> installed)
> >
> > checkinstall assumes that you are on a debian system when building a deb
> > package. Wether this is the root of your problem or not is another
> > issue,
> > but it will most probably fail.
>
> Thanks Felipe
>
> Do you know how to build deb package on non-debian system? or do you know
> whether there is how to do that or not?
> If not, can you recommend the good package management tool like APT for
> non-distro linux?
>
> CPU : ARM
> Distro : N/A
>

> On Solaris there is a compilation problem with :
- getopt
- obstack

I riped those two from some GNU source tree around and added them to the
dpkg/lib directory and Makefile.am

Someone want to progress on this track with me ?

I think even if you succeed to install dpkg on Solaris, it doesn't work
well.
I've also suffered a few problems to install dpkg on my system and succeeded
it, but it doesn't work:
dpkg fails if installing some deb package from debian site.
So I wondered that it succeeds or not if building deb package on the system
on which I installed dpkg.
However I have no idea even whether it's possible to build deb package on
non-debian system.

There was no your problem for me: getopt, obstack
so I don't know well,
but if you proceed to install and run dpkg on non-debian system (Solaris in
your case)
so that you can install some deb package whichever building on your system
or getting from debian site,
I want to progress with you.
(although I'm not on Solaris but embedded linux)

or don't you think to build a new (distro independent) package management
tool on your system?
I'm looking for it (whether I don't know if there exists).

Hi,

I've decided to go with dpkg/apt on Solaris because I do not want to reinvent the wheel and design a new package system. On Solaris there is pkg* but it does not fit our needs. Whereas dpkg is very powerful, fill our requirements and more....

I've been successful building my own packages, adapted to dpkg, on my Solaris machine.

But there are still many problems, in particular with the Architecture definition in dpkg.

And with many Perl modules used by dpkg, example build log :

dh_builddeb
Use of uninitialized value in vec at .../tools/PERL-5.8.8/lib/perl5/5.8.8/warnings/register.pm line 41.
Use of uninitialized value in scalar assignment at .../tools/PERL-5.8.8/lib/perl5/5.8.8/warnings/register.pm line 41.
Use of uninitialized value in vec at .../tools/PERL-5.8.8/lib/perl5/5.8.8/warnings/register.pm line 47.
Use of uninitialized value in scalar assignment at .../tools/PERL-5.8.8/lib/perl5/5.8.8/warnings/register.pm line 47.
dpkg-deb: building package `libedas-c' in `../libedas-c_6.3.1-1_solaris-sparc.deb'.
 dpkg-genchanges
dpkg-genchanges: including full source code in upload
dpkg-buildpackage: full upload; Debian-native package (full source is included)

I don't know where those errors come from?

By the way, I've also a requirement that can be not-obvious to many here, I need to build & install packages as a no-root user.
No problem with that, using fakeroot and option --force-not-root.
But packages are modified with DESTDIR=/some/dir/of/my/own/....

I'm waiting for suggestions, good practices, and ... from dpkg guru ;o) !

Best regards,
Michel

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain privileged information.
If you are not the addressee you must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it.
If you have received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of security reasons.
This access is controlled under Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.