Re: dpkg patch

Ian Jackson wrote:
> Many packages nowadays are maintained by teams sharing a revision
> control system.  When this happens many others who work with the
> package end up using the same RCS to prepare NMUs, local versions,
> etc.
>
> So I think in these cases the fact that a particular RCS is being used
> is a fact about the package and not about the person doing the work.
> It should be stored with the package.

Well, we do store such info in the package, via the new Vcs- fields. I
probably wouldn't mind if dpkg-source looked at those and turned on
appropriate ignores.. Some people might argue that such a behavior would
need to be disabled in some cases.

> I agree with this, I think.  That's not to say that Ubuntu's ought to
> be identical.

No more than it's important that the dpkg in debian stable and unstable
be identical. However, non-bugfix divergences that change behavior, and
that one distro can come to rely on, while another decides not to
support or use, can be a big problem.

--
see shy jo