[RFC] dpkg-buildpackage development goal

Hi.

Since I haved hacked quite a bit on dpkg-buildpackage in the last one or
two weeks I wanted to gather some comments on what people think should
be the goal of dpkg-buildpackage development.

dpkg-buildpackage has very seen very few changes in its feature set
during its lifetime. The question is whether this was intentional or
just due do all former maintainers having other priorities?

Obviously one could attempt to merge in new features especially from
debuild which reimplements dpkg-buildpackage but with many fancy
additions. (While e.g. pbuilder and sbuild wrap dpkg-buildpackage but
do not replace it)

On the other hand one could argue that dpkg-buildpackage should
intentionally remain simple and that people are expected to write
their own wrappers or replacements if they need.

What do you think?

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>