Re: Working on dpkg during Debconf

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 11:54:04PM +0100, Esteban Manchado Velázquez wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:35:51AM +0200, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > [...]
> > Code:
> > [...]
> >  - I have neglected the test-suite discussion I started myself lately.
> >    Experiences like the dpkg-scanpackages patches have shown that we
> >    really, really should have one
>
>     I'm _very_ interested in seeing a dpkg testsuite, but I'm not attending
> Debconf. Are you going to set up some kind of Wiki or similar, so I can see
> what are you doing in the meantime, and perhaps take part in some discussions
> or contribute code?
>
>     As you probably know, I made an effort to try to build a testing
> framework for dpkg, but it was lost in the dust :-) If you care about the
> pieces, they're published as an Arch repo, at
>
>     http://people.debian.org/~zoso/arch/dpkg--test--1.0/
>
> And, finally, do you have any ideas to start from, so I can perhaps contribute
> something?  If not, perhaps we can begin the discussion in this list, so you
> can start from some basic design, instead of from scratch.

First of all there seem to be at least four distinct areas of testing:
1.) Unit tests for the C parts
2.) Run tests for the C implemented programs
3.) Unit tests for the Perl parts
4.) Run tests for the Perl implemented programs

Parts 2 and 4 can probably implemented together, while the Parts 1
and 4 are probably very specific in their implementations. Part 3
is not an issue yet anyway since the perl code isn't written in
a way that makes unit tests possible (although it's definetly a goal
of me to change that - sometime).

I honestly only have some experiences with parts 3 and 4. So any
implementation proposals for 1 and 2 (and thereby maybe 4) are certainly
welcome.

Part 2 has the big problem that many tests probably need root
privileges...

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>