Re: About dpkg translation, please consider i18n when choosing words

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:40:38PM +0300, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> > gobble replaced file `%.255s'
>
> I had problem with this string too.
>
> [...]
>
> One more thing about dpkg templates. Is it possible to split some BIIIG
> messages to several smaller onces?
>
> Now I got fuzzy in message which is ~70 lines long, and searching which
> part has been changed is real pain. Splitting it to 7*10 lines would make
> translators life easier.

Actually all we want as translators is clearly stated in the gettext
manual [1].

* Decent English style
* Entire sentences
* Split at paragraphs
* Use format strings instead of string concatenation

These are explained in the link.

Cheers

Luk

[1]