Re: dpkg unittests

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 14:20 +0000, Esteban Manchado Velázquez wrote:

> Some months ago (Apr 2004) I talked to Wichert about trying to add tests
> to dpkg.  After some "research", I came up with some initial test
> infrastructure in dejagnu and the check C library (both available as Debian
> packages).

That'd be excellent to see ... I've been wondering how to do it myself
for a while, I've not really found any really truly decent test
framework for unit testing C code (as apposed to functionally testing
the resulting binaries)

How did you go about it?

> I don't know if now, as Sarge is coming, is the right time to begin
> working in the post-Sarge version of dpkg, or if it would be better waiting a
> little bit. Moreover, I don't know if I should begin working with the CVS
> version or if I should wait until somebody says it's OK working with HEAD
> (ISTR that Scott said something about dpkg's CVS not being in good shape, but
> it was some months ago and I could be mistaken).

I'm working exclusively in Arch these days -- CVS is too much pain.  I
put together a guide for people who want to hack on dpkg;
<http://people.ubuntu.com/~scott/arch/Arch-For-Dpkg>

CVS HEAD is pretty much a minefield, imo, so I've "abandoned" it.  My
development branch is a continuation of the 1.10 branch, I'll gradually
review the HEAD changes for crackocity and merge them in if appropriate.
It's numbered 1.13 simply to distinguish it from 1.11 (which was the
name assigned to CVS HEAD).

>     Meanwhile, we can simply discuss the testing framework, before putting to
> much effort in it...

Oh, I'm full-on pro-unit-testing :o)  I'd like to discuss the framework
a bit to make sure it's easy to use; I also might mention a slight
allergy to TCL at some point <g>  but yeah, let's see what we can do!

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?