dpkg-scanpackages: specifying packages

How can I specify to dpkg-scanpackages precisely which packages I want scanned?

I keep my old deb files in a "backup" subdirectory of the directory in which I keep my current deb files. I recently decided to use APT and went about setting up a repository. dpkg-scanpackages, however, doesn't like finding multiple versions of the same package, in . and ./backup.

I'd rather not change my directory structure to suite dpkg-scanpackages (unless there's another good reason to do so). I wish it were possible to specify more precisely which debs to scan. Maybe an option to supply a pattern which filenames must match? Maybe this -

dpkg-scanpackages [-u] [-a <arch>] debFile | dir [debFiles | dirs] [-o overrideFile] [-p pathPrefix]

- all files supplied as arguments would be treated as debs, all directories would be recursively searched. If no override file were specified, it would be assumed to be empty.

I'm sure there're other solutions. I've been over the bug reports and couldn't find any dealing with this issue. Can someone suggest a solution? Should I file a bug report?

Thanks for making dpkg awesome!

Jack