Re: dpkg and debhelper patches for lib64 support

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Joey Hess wrote:

> Adam Heath wrote:
> > No to ${field}, ${field}32, ${field}64.  Yes to ${field}[.${variant}].
> >
> > This allows for completely abstract package field variants, and targets.
> > It's not hard-coded to 32/64, and can be extended for athlon, ppc64, sse,
> > whatever.
>
> Could you write out an example?

Package: xlibs
Package.athlon: xlibs-athlon
Depends.any: coreutils
Depends: libgcc1
Depends.athlon: libathlon_gcc1
Architecture: any
Architecture.athlon: x86-64

A user compiling the package can choose the default, or can choose to compile
for athlon.

When generating an output field, the variant of the field is choosen.  If one
isn't found, then the standard field is used.  Additionally, .any fields are
merged in with whatever field is choosen.

I'm not exactly certain how the Architecture field can make use of this
feature.  Any suggestions?

Additionally, this support is really simple to do, and could be done with
dpkg-gencontrol, or even some preprocessing magic that reads control.in.