Re: Processed: force-overwrite bugs

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 04:21:10PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> >So basically what you're seeing here is that the ordering isn't
> >necessarily sane.
>
> Read the quote above. The ordering shouldn't matter, IMO. Perhaps a dpkg
> person can clear up my confusion? Is it the versioning on the replaces:
> that's screwing things up?

No, it's the fact that the Replaces field only works in one direction.
When you install coreutils which replaces debianutils over debianutils,
it works as advertized, but not when you install debianutils over coreutils,
regardless of coreutils' replaces field on debianutils.

That is, the order matters, and it's not necessarily sane. It's always been
like that, AFAIR. <shrug>

> >>I suppose that coreutils needs a Conflicts against debianutils << 2.4-1
> >>as long as people are going to continue installing earlier versions
> >>after coreutils 4.5.8-1.
>
> That absolutely cannot happen if debianutils has a pre-depends on
> coreutils.

Er, what?

% dpkg -s debianutils | grep Depends
Pre-Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.1-1)